Phlebotomy Certification in Atlanta:
So you’re looking to become certified as a Phlebotomist in Atlanta? Here’s a simple step-by-step guide that will tell you the basic requirements for certification, as well as any special requirements that you need to be aware of before you start your education. We also have a cool searchable database of schools and college that offer approved Phlebotomy training programs in your area.
Demand for Phlebotomists is rapidly-growing: the Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that employment for Phlebotomists will grow by 27% in the next ten years. This demand is much larger than the projected growth for other occupations. According to Salary.com, the median salary of a Phlebotomist in Atlanta, GA is $28,139/year.
Does Georgia Recognize National Phlebotomy Certification?
Many States (like California and Florida) have their own regulatory boards for specialized occupations like Phlebotomy. And with those special boards there tends to be special rules about becoming certified in that state. However, the state of Georgia fully recognizes Phlebotomy Certification from National Phlebotomy agencies (we have a list of them below).
The Georgia Division of Professional Regulation does not even require phlebotomists to be certified. Although if you’re serious about getting hired on as a full-time Phlebotomist at a hospital or clinic, then getting the training required for national certification is absolutely essential. If you apply for an entry-level job at a lab, hospital, or blood bank, the individuals with certification will have a huge advantage over the others. But these training programs are fairly straightforward in their education programs.
National Phlebotomy Certification Agencies:
Many employers require that you become nationally certified by one of the following agencies (presented in no particular order):
- National Center for Competency Testing 145 test questions must be answered over 2.5 hours. Written evidence of clinical competency is required.
- American Medical Technologists. Phlebotomist. Requires work experience, oral or written exam, renewal every three years through CEU and re-examination.
- American Society for Clinical Pathology, Phlebotomy Technician (PBT, ASCP). Requires training or work experience, oral or written exam, renewal every ten years, can renew through CEU.
- American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians, Phlebotomist. Requires practical exam, written exam, annual CEUs to maintain certification.
- National Phlebotomy Association. Phlebotomist. Requires oral or written exam.
Basic Requirements for Phlebotomy Certification:
These are the basic requirements of any Phlebotomy training program, which typically take 3-6 months. Basically, once you enroll in a college or school, expect to:
- Submit your High School or GED transcripts
- Pass a background check and drug test
- Complete up to 40 hours of didactic (classroom) training
- Complete up to 40 hours of practical training
- Prove that you are capable of as many as 100 venipunctures and 10 skin collections
Professional phlebotomy certifications are different than postsecondary certificates (entry-level credentials) in that they certify that you have received specialized training through specific accredited organizations.
Thinking of Moving to Atlanta? Here’s a Brief Introduction to the City:
Atlanta, the capital and largest city in Georgia, has a population of over 447,000 and is known for progressive views held by its residents and leaders. The economy is very diverse in Atlanta with dominant sectors such as logistics, service industries, media operations, information technology and professional and business services. Both a railroad and an airline traffic hub, Atlanta serves as a significant focal point for diplomatic missions, and communications. The constantly growing economy and consistently increasing demand for new employees makes Atlanta a perfect venue for creating a new future.
Atlanta is a destination for vacationers plus home to academics and business people.
There are a number of phlebotomy training programs available in Atlanta, these provide certification and licensure upon graduating: